…This is a fairly accurate sneak peek at what happens when Eren (in titan form) and the Armored Titan meet outside Wall Maria in Volume 10 of the Manga.
To those who have only seen the Anime, you owe it to yourself to read the Manga starting with Volume 9, which picks up where the Anime leaves off (The first 8 span the Anime in case you’re wondering). The way the Anime in its current form abruptly ends, you know it will be continued maybe two years from now in Japan ala Sword Art Online II.
I just picked up Volume 13 yesterday myself. Here’s a couple big things that happen based on what I’ve read in Volumes 9 through 12:
- More soldiers with the ability to become Titans are revealed. The human counterparts of the Armored Titan and the Colossal Titan are revealed to be traitors and hail from the same region as Annie, the female Titan taken down by the Survey Corps and the Garrison Corps (with help from Eren in Titan form). Like Annie, they are also after Eren for reasons yet to be fully revealed.
- Ymir (though I’ve seen others spell her name “Amir” online) is revealed in Volume 9 to have the ability to transform into a small fast Titan. Ymir is a close friend of Krista Weiss (not her real name, more on this is a moment) but in Volumes 11 and 12 it’s hard to twll where her loyalties lie. Finally, Ymir reveals to Eren she was trapped in Titan form for over 60 years. Titans and humans who can become Titans possess remarkable healing powers, making Ymir the oldest person in the series so far.
- The aforementioned Krista Weiss is reeally Historia Lenz, the illigitimate child of a prominent family am0ng the Wallists. She reveals her true name to Ymir when they were working together during a mission on a mountain a few years earlier to demonstrate her trust in her judgement. It’s not yet known what role Krista/Historia has to play but with hints Eren’s Dad may not be the only only who knows about the Titans’ mysterious origins, you can be sure it will be important.
- Commander Erwin loses his right arm to a Titan during the mission to get Eren back from the Colossal and Armored Titans.
- Eren encounters the Titan that killed his mother again (!).
…Again, the story is still ongoing.
I’ll have to wait until at least November 4 for Volume 14. New volumes are released every 3 to 4 months so…yeah. I’m fine with that since Naruto and Bleach volumes are released at the same pace. This translates to roughly 3 to 4 volumes a year and unlike some folks I know, I prefer to read my Manga in paperback as originally intended.