There is no more denying Webtoons are here to stay. The majority of Webtoons are Webcomics. Manwha (South Korean comics) and are South Korea’s equivalent to Japan’s Light Novels adapted to Manga and Anime. Some Webtoons actually have gotten an Anime or live Action adaptation. Noblesse, Tower of God (Webtoon still ongoing) and God of High School are three of the most known to get Anime Adaptations while the still ongoing True Beauty and So I Married the Anti-Fan are two MEGA popular Webtoons–both Webtoons still ongoing–that recently got a Live-Action Adaptation. The three Anime adaptations I mentioned are all on Crunchyroll while the two Live Action Adaptations I mentioned are both on Viki. You’re welcome.
I’m now going to present two groups of 10 Webtoons I’ve been following that I think should get an Anime or Live Action Adaptation. To be fair, I won’t put a Webtoon on both lists. I say that given some listed could easily be adapted for both.
Ok, first here is my list of 10 Webtoons that I’d like to see get an Anime Adaptation:
- Hardcore Leveling Warrior: The series finale was a few months back and man oh man was it EPIC. I won’t get into plot spoilers but the Webtoon’s pacing lends itself quite well to about 8 to 10 story arcs. If they want to split it that way, this could be 5 or 6 seasons.
- I’m The Grim Reaper: Personally, the storytelling would be better adapted to a Live Action but this would need an Anime Adaptation because it would be much more cost-effective. It’s a supernatural horror and has a way of pulling you into the deep end out the gate.
- Gul: One of the most HILARIOUS Webcomics ever made. There’s a lot of crass humor so this would get the Mature rating.
- The Advanced Player of the Tutorial Tower: This is a Webtoon that doesn’t take itself too seriously. Guy gets trapped in a Tutorial for 12 years. Guy finally gets out. Guy is MASSIVELY OP. Hilarity ensues. The video game mechanics employed require this getting an Anime adaptation.
- 66,666 Years: Advent of the Dark Mage: This Fantasy Drama is quite interesting and doesn’t take itself too seriously. The MC is OP for the era he reincarnates into but he’s quickly learned to fear the only beings who are a match for him: His parents. Especially his boarderline psychotic Lord and Swordmaster of a father.
- Weak Hero: Another Webtoon whose storytelling would be better suited for Live Action but I feel like it would be safer to make it an Anime. A Live Action adaptation would require a LOT of creative changes to make it fit. More so given how graphic some of the fight scenes get.
- God, Please Make Me a Demon!: Demon gets reincarnated as a human girl. Demon Girl’s powers gradually return whenever she does good deeds for others. Hilarity ensues. It doesn’t get any better than that.
- Villain to Kill: A Hero is betrayed, killed and reincarnated as a VIllain. It’s quite the juxtoposition to say the least. Now secretly living as a member of the other side of the divide, the MC discovers Villans might be much more complex than he had been led to believe as a Hero.
- The Gamer: A video game addict wishes life was like a video game. Wish granted. I don’t want to say any more than that without spoiling anything but this would be so easy and fun to adapt as an Anime.
- I Get Stronger The More I Eat: Last on the list but the only Isekai! A guy with a OP eating-related skill is transported to a Fantasy world. As the title implies, he gains the abilities of whatever he eats. Did I forget to mention he never gets indigestion?
This is quite a nice mix. All but the first are ongoing Webtoons by the way. Do yourself a favor and go get caught up. Tower of God, The God of High Schol and Noblesse all got Anime adaptatins. You can find them all on Crunchyroll.
Ok so now here’s 10 Webtoons I’d like to see get a Live Action Adaptation:
- Your Throne: This is a psychological thriller and has plenty of good drama. Not even Hollywood could mess this up that’s how well done this story is. The series is currently on hiatus but with the way it’s written, it’s ready to be adapted anytime for either TV or a movie series.
- Devilish Romance: The plot’s similar to God, Please Make Me a Demon! but it’s a Rom-Com. The Live-Action version would probably lean a bit more in the Drama aspects of it though.
- Get Schooled!: Arguably one of the most iconic Webtoons EVER. Two ex-soldiers are hired by South Korea’s Department of Education and can legally beat up students. Yes, really. This could easily be adapted and have each case done in any sequence. There’s not pressure to adapt every case from the Webtoon either for that matter.
- See You In My 19th Life: What would you do if you could remember your past lives? Would anyone from your previous life believe you when you met them again? What if you were killed in your previous life and needed their help in your new one? Those are just some of the plots in this drama and it could probably be a movie series if done right.
- Mom, I’m Sorry: Arguably one of the most emotionally charged Webtoons EVER. It wrapped up a few months back and it just plays itself out very nicely as a Drama. Even better is the supernatural elements are pretty minimal and it plays itself out for a pretty good live-action drama.
- Let’s Play: This Romance Drama is just amazingly well-written. It lends itself quite well to either a western or eastern live action adaptation.
- Back to You: This Slice of Life Romance is quite special to say the least. Unrequited love gets a second chance but things hardly go as expected. The Webtoon recently finished which is always good!
- Marry Me!: I wanna see this adapted on Viki as a Romance/Slice of Life so bad, it’s not even funny. There’s absolutely no way it can be screwed up either.
- Good Luck, Hero!: This is what you call a reverse-Isekai. Some characters from a fantasy world die and are reincarnted in modern South Korea. This one has quite an interesting plot to say the least and lends itself quite well to a live-action adaptation.
- Return of the Mad Demon: The first chapter of this Webtoon is a legit gut-buster despite being an Action/Thriller. That’s because the main character is legit insane. You never know what he’s going to say or do next, that’s what makes the Webtoon such a treat.
Like I mentioned earlier, True Beauty and So I Married The Anti-Fan both got Live Action Adaptations. You can catch them on Viki.
For context, I only listed Webtoons I read myself that are on the Webtoon app. I have about 100 Webtoons cued but I’ve read about 70 of them from what I can remember. I’ll probably update this post later with some honorable mentions but for now, I want to keep things on these in particular because of their outstanding storytelling.
If you have enjoyed this post or other posts I have made on this blog, please consider making a monetary donation via PayPal. Whatever amount you can provide would be greatly appreciated.